RE: Two Job PostingTrends

Subject: RE: Two Job PostingTrends
From: Allison Clements <Allison_Clements -at- advantagepayroll -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2001 17:02:54 -0500

Bruce Byfield wrote:

>Over the last couple of months, I've noticed two new trends in
>job-posting in the Vancouver area:

>- on-line application forms: 14 months ago, these barely existed. Now, a
>growing number of companies are using them. I suspect that they are used
>to weed out casual applications, since they require more effort than an
>e-mail with an attachment. Also, answers on the form can be directly fed
>into a database, and the possibility of a virus in the attachment is
>eliminated.

The last serious job search I did was summer 2000. Many of the larger
companies had the online application (Maine, US). One in particular -
a well known semiconductor company would ONLY accept resumes using
their application format. The format was somewhat limiting, however
they suggested putting any additional information in a cover letter
pasted in the body of an email to HR.

Most companies seem to have very rigid resume submission guidelines.
The local college career center wasn't even up to date on these new
acceptable formats. I did most of my research on .txt cover letters
and resumes on monster.com and others. Monster.com wasn't the best
site, but it's the one I remember...

Regards,

Allison

custom cover design, and distribution to 25,00 retailers. Join our almost
10,000 published authors today. http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr