RE: POLL: A question of rhetoric (not a rhetorical question)

Subject: RE: POLL: A question of rhetoric (not a rhetorical question)
From: "Pete Sanborn" <psanborn2 -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2001 18:28:39 -0500

Roy asked:
"Can you clarify that, Pete?"

The intent was not to re-write or re-phrase your original statement, but to
eliminate the subject "you". In many organizations, use of words such as
"you" tends to be considered unprofessional and/or sloppy writing in a
technical document. I don't necessarily agree with that approach,
suggesting that all technical writing must be sterile, but it is one I have
had to adopt at different companies. It wasn't intended as an editorial
comment or a critique, just an alternative way of phrasing. Like the others
on this thread, I also favor the positive approach.

Regards,
Pete