RE: Job Hunting Strategies

Subject: RE: Job Hunting Strategies
From: "Jane Carnall" <jane -dot- carnall -at- digitalbridges -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2001 10:01:28 -0000

-----Original Message-----
>I am in the midst of a job hunt to find a contract tech writing
>opportunity in the Silicon Valley area. I am registered with over a
>dozen job boards. Beyond these, what additional job search strategies
>would any of you advise? What has worked for you in the past?
>Cold-calling employers, bombarding recruiters? Any suggestions would
>be helpful. Thanks.

Pro-actively contacting recruiters/agencies with a good "covering letter"
responding to a specific job ad. (Use Tom Murrell's technique of answering
each point in the job ad in your covering letter! <g>) Attach your
CV/resume. Make it clear they're welcome to contact you about further jobs.
Make up your mind that you're going to send out CV/covering letter for a
minimum of two jobs per day (you can take weekends off) until you get one.
(The jobs you apply for don't have to be or sound like your perfect job,
though you'd be a fool to apply for a job you knew you couldn't do: the
point is, it gets your CV/resume into active circulation and hopefully puts
you at the top of a recruiter's mind when an appropriate job comes in.)

This strategy is time-consuming, but it's worked for me.

Jane Carnall
"Didn't you know that Word has it in for people with paranoia?"

custom cover design, and distribution to 25,00 retailers. Join our almost
10,000 published authors today. http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr