RE: Strange Interview Practices?

Subject: RE: Strange Interview Practices?
From: quills -at- airmail -dot- net
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2001 20:40:32 -0600

At 5:18 PM -0500 11/2/01, Win Day wrote:

At 02:06 PM 02/11/2001 -0600, quills -at- airmail -dot- net wrote:
At 9:17 AM -0600 11/2/01, bryan -dot- westbrook -at- amd -dot- com wrote:
"No one expects the Spanish Inquisition."

Too true!

I went through one interview process, ending with the project head, who was the hiring/firing authority, and he asked me "Why should I hire you, rather than anyone else."

I just grinned at him and gave him a reasonable answer. What I wanted to tell him, was that I was the best person he would find, and the question he should have asked was " Why I would not work for him."

I already knew by the time he asked that odious question, that I didn't want to work there. I merely treated the entire interview as a practice. And I enjoyed it, It was also very helpful for the later interview I took for the position I eventually accepted. Elsewhere, I might add.

All right, I'll bite. Why was the question odious?

The way the person asked it, intonation, body language, facial expression, all told me that I didn't want to work for him. When someone asks the question in this manner, they are on a power trip. I don't need to work for this type of petty tyrant.

I recognize leadership when I see it. I didn't see it here. I had the advantage, I could choose my job. I chose not to work for someone whom I knew would conflict with me.

It was very akin to him asking me to beg for the job. He was obviously enjoying his power. And from what the tech writer they had, and whom I interviewed with first told me, I deduced that he was a tyrant.

I trust my gut reaction to people. It was better for me to be cautious.

Scott

custom cover design, and distribution to 25,00 retailers. Join our almost
10,000 published authors today. http://www.iuniverse.com/publish/default.asp