RE: Strange Interview Practices?

Subject: RE: Strange Interview Practices?
From: SIANNON -at- VISUS -dot- JNJ -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2001 12:56:59

Given the analogies to dating practices, I was struck by some interesting
ideas (perhaps only interesting because it is Friday, and I'm feeling a
little like a mix between a sports anchor, a maverick investigative
reporter and an absentminded professor).

The furor (for those expressing dissatisfaction) on "unusual" interview
practices hinges on differences in expectations. The initial flurry seemed
to focus on the idea of a standard or proper interview format. Thus, that
part of the argument is effectively one of diversion from an expected
template of behavior. The next flurry seems to insist on advance knowledge
of the interview content/format. Thus, that part of the argument is
effectively one of non-communication of diversion from an expected template
of behavior. Both of these presume that template to be real, just and
good.

Gee, we're back to design issues. This shouldn't be too bad. ;)

What is the purpose of an interview?

As some folks have already expressed, there are different perspectives at
work here as to the scope and purpose of an interview. Some see it as an
audition. Some see it as a means of making contacts. Some see it as a
behavioral test of one's capacity to deal with a specific group of people,
or a specific work environment. Some see it as a test to verify that the
resume isn't just a work of fiction. Some see it as an opportunity for the
company to evaluate a potential employee, while others see it as an
opportunity for a person to evaluate a potential employer (hint: it's
usually both).

What you determine the scope and purpose to be colors your effectiveness at
an interview as much as it colors the effectiveness of a document you
write. They are both forms of communication. They can both be spoiled by
bad content or bad presentation. They can both offer opportunities for
creativity.

They are also both within your control to shape. Yes, you (as an
interviewee) are stuck working within a template you do not control, but
that is where your skill and craftsmanship come into play as writers, as
designers of information. That is where tone and meter and audience
analysis meet to convey the content within whatever confines of style and
presentation you are given.

How many people, when in an unstructured interview, lead the direction of
discussion? How many even dare to ask questions? As a tech writer, you
are often called in to bring order to chaos, and turn data into
information. If you can do that in the interview, you prove in an
immediate manner what is difficult to show in a resume.

How many convey themselves as experts trying to identify the needs of the
client, and determine whether they meet those needs? or do they convey
themselves as someone seeking work for the sake of money? The first makes
you the alpha, the second makes you the beta, or submissive party. This
makes a difference in negotiations the same way tone can make a difference
in proposal writing.

Basically, I guess my thoughts boil down to amusement that we have this
glaring parallel to challenges we face in our jobs every day, and yet we
rarely see someone discuss it, or approach it, in the same manner we
discuss or approach those challenges.

Granted, I'm one of those oddballs who used to daydream of unusual
interviews I'd like to _give_ when I became a mega-business owner one day,
so I guess I look at them as more of a canvas than others may. Heck, this
discussion first made me wonder what the reaction would be if I brought
flowers to give my interviewer(s) at an interview, or donuts...no one
expects that, but it would certainly stick in one's mind. Believe it or
not, a tech writer I helped to interview for another team won the
interviewing programmer's favor by seriously answering the question "How
would you deal with trying to get information from a programmer if they
won't give it to you?" with "First, I'd bribe him with cookies,..."

:)

Shauna Iannone
verbosely looking forward to the weekend

custom cover design, and distribution to 25,00 retailers. Join our almost
10,000 published authors today. http://www.iuniverse.com/publish/default.asp