RE: Strange Interview Practices?

Subject: RE: Strange Interview Practices?
From: "Hart, Rowena" <Hart -at- SelkirkFinancial -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2001 15:07:11 -0800

This is actually common practice in retail and
trade job markets. It can be disconcerting
if you've never been through it before, but
it is not inherently a bad screening technique.

When faced with this, the best approach is to:

- talk to the interviewer as if you and s/he
are the only people in the room
- don't feel rushed; take time to prepare your
answer and speak at an even pace
- compliment or refer to things that other
applicants said, then build on their answer
- be descriptive; tell war stories to capture
the interviewer's attention and distinguish
you from other applicants
- sell, sell, sell; tell the interviewer about
your accomplishments, and don't by shy
- when you go in for the obligatory handshake,
hold onto the interviewer's hand slightly longer
than normal, look into their eyes, smile, and
thank them sincerely for inviting you to the
interview; again, the goal is to stand out from
the crowd

Hope this helps,

Rowena