RE: bad leadership and tech writing

Subject: RE: bad leadership and tech writing
From: Jim Shaeffer <jims -at- spsi -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2001 16:32:05 -0500

Julie,
The end product does depend on the organization, as well as the
skill and the work of the writer.

What your reorg seems to have done is remove an external writing
group, making you into (suddenly) a lone writer. (There's a
whole STC SIG devoted to Lone Writers so you are not really alone.)

The organization I mentioned in my first line must come from some-
where. If there is no longer a writing department to impose it, you
must impose it. Without the insulation of a Tech Writing department
you are indeed more vulnerable to random interruptions and whimsical
changes in direction.

Stop, take deep breaths and figure our how things should work. Then,
set up your little piece of the world to work that way. We had a
recent thread on this list called LONE TECHNICAL WRITER that might
help. (Check the archives.)

Some people might just say it's time to sit down and write. I think
it boils down to input - process - output. Even if you cannot change
the nature of the chaotic inputs, you can make a process of your
own that organizes things _before_ the chaos seeps into your writing.

Good luck,
Jim Shaeffer (jims -at- spsi -dot- com)

custom cover design, and distribution to 25,00 retailers. Join our almost
10,000 published authors today. http://www.iuniverse.com/publish/default.asp