Union of the Snake

Subject: Union of the Snake
From: Andrew Plato <intrepid_es -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 15:22:48 -0800 (PST)

--- Nancy Mignone <n_mignone -at- hotmail -dot- com> wrote:
> I believe we are seriously off-topic here and that this topic brings up
> very
> strong feelings. I myself was raised working class and very pro-union.
> As
> for capitalism whipping anything and everything, I'm not interested in
> your
> political opinions.

While there is a political element to this discussion - and I am surely
one to voice mine. There is a professional aspect to this. One that tech
writers should consider. Is joining a union beneficial?

Some people think it is, and they are presenting their reasons. Some of
those reasons make sense, some don't. I am doing the same thing. Of course
I am right and you are all wrong. :-D

By the very nature of unions, there is a political aspect to them. I think
they are useless in the world of high-tech. They do more damage than good.
However, in other industries they are beneficial. Unskilled or trade
skills tend to fair better with unions then specialized technical skill.

Should you join a union - well that's up to you. I wouldn't. I can
negotiate on my own. I believe that skill and intelligence are more
powerful a negotiation tool than brute force and intimidation of the
masses. Many high-tech firms are quite bluntly not interested in the
politics of unions and won't much care to hire a pack of unionist. You'd
be better off to sharpen your technical and negotiation skills.

But, that's my opinion.

Despite many of the political overtones to this discussion, I think it is
on topic and I hope Eric allows it to run its course. I also hope that we
can all see that just because a person does not like the concept of unions
(or does like them) does not mean they hate you as an individual.

And don't call me Shirley.

Andrew Plato

http://personals.yahoo.com