RE: Technial Writing Unions

Subject: RE: Technial Writing Unions
From: Jason Willebeek-LeMair <jlemair -at- cisco -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 11:42:29 -0600

Sarah Payne wrote:

"Is it fair to arrive in on Monday morning to be told that you no longer
have a job and that you must leave the building immediately with no
redundancy package?"

Absolutely! (of course, you could always negotiate for a severance package
in exchange for not making waves--everything in negotiable).

Of course, I grew up in an "at-will" state, where we all sign little papers
that say either party can terminate the employment without so much as a
"by-your-leave".

That also meant I could pack my bags and go at any time also. It only seems
fair to give the corporation the same option.

"Would that be considered "being abused, wronged or otherwise maltreated",
as Darren said in an earlier post?"

Hell no. We both (me and "the man" [early protest slang used in an entirely
genderless way to evoke feelings of division and conflict]) both knew the
arrangement. If you pay someone to punch you in the head, and they do, don't
complain. You agreed to it.

Of course, most of the companies I worked for were not so cruel or crass.
And neither was I when leaving. But it is nice to know that I could have.

Jason