RE: Technial Writing Unions

Subject: RE: Technial Writing Unions
From: Sarah Payne <sarah -dot- payne -at- eircom -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 17:08:50 -0000

Hi all,

I don't normally write to mailing lists but this topic caught my attention,
especially in light of previous threads about lay-off etiquette and such
things.

I would just like to pose the question:

Is it fair to arrive in on Monday morning to be told that you no longer
have a job and that you must leave the building immediately with no
redundancy package? Would that be considered "being abused, wronged or
otherwise maltreated", as Darren said in an earlier post? Personally, I
would consider that it is.

How easy is it for one employee to fight management when such a decision is
made? What recourse do you have?

Would it be easier for a union to fight on the employees behalf in such a
situation?

I appreciate that some unions are overly bureaucratic and seem to achieve
very little. But I *do* see a need for them in some situations.

Just another slant on the whole union issue - these opinions are mine and
mine alone!

Regards,
Sarah

Sarah Payne