Re: "They don't need no stinkin' documentation..."

Subject: Re: "They don't need no stinkin' documentation..."
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 13:20:25 -0800

Sandy Harris wrote:

However, given that, I think you're looking at three essentials for what
you actually put in the docs -- technical accuracy, suitability for the
audience and decent organisation. Miss any of the three and you've blown it, usually fatally.

This may just be a matter of parsing the process differently, but I'd suggest that successful documentation depends on:

- gathering accurate and appropriate information.
- understanding the audience's needs and the circumstances of use.
- organizing the project.
- organizing the information.
- designing the template.
- writing the document.
- reviewing and editing.
- producing the final document (whether steering it through the print house or preparing it for on-line use).

A major failure at any one of these stages can wreck the document.

"What will I say when my children ask me,
'Where were you flying on that day?'
With trembling voice, I gave the order
To the bombardier of Enola Gay."
-Utah Phillips, "Enola Gay"