RE: New TECHWR-L Poll Question

Subject: RE: New TECHWR-L Poll Question
From: Diane Evans <DianeE -at- LOCKSTREAM -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 07:31:56 -0800

>For those who were "involuntarily idled": Did you have a inkling it was
>coming, or were you completely unaware of the impending doom?

Three times I have been laid off...not unusual, considering that I love
working at dot-coms.

The first time, I heard a remark at a meeting and knew that our project was
going to be shut down within two weeks. Others didn't believe me, until 30
of us were "sent home" ten days later.

The second time, there was little to no warning. The dot-com hired a new
CEO who had never worked in the software industry before. He decided that
the company was spending too much for consultants and contractors, and sent
all non-company employees out the door.

The third time, I was consulting for an agency that charged way too much for
my time, compared to what I was being paid. The company I was at found
another agency with more reasonable fees and dropped me. Of course, I was
much more experienced than their new hire, but I really didn't care. I was
hired as a "senior technical writer" and was doing near-secretarial level
typing. (Lots of cut and paste and if I changed a single word, I was in big
trouble.)

Diane Evans
Information Developer
Lockstream, Inc.
425-709-6840 x 230

Ask for the moon, and settle for its reflection in the pond in your back
yard.