Re: Documenting Software in a SDLC

Subject: Re: Documenting Software in a SDLC
From: "Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- att -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 15:23:48 -0400

> A couple of days ago I happened upon the best of the bunch, an e-book by
> Edward B Toupin. The book can be purchased online for $7 (US) and can be
> obtained from the following site. The book (90 pages) is delivered in PDF
> format with an additional zip file containing 16 (mostly) useful document
> templates. The site is:
> http://www.onlinebooksinc.com/NewFiles/edtoupin.html
> You can view a section of the book for free, including the Table of
> Contents.

I took a look at the book, but I don't understand why most of the bulleted
lists are not introduced by text that would put the lists in some logical
context. I can see nothing in the text preceding the bulleted lists (except
those lists that are properly introduced) that gives the reader any clue
about what the bulleted list is trying to convey.

For example, on page 25 the following section appears:

3.5 Post-Development

Once the product has been developed and fully tested, it's ready for
packaging and

distribution. This is where your documentation comes into play for the
internal staff

and for the users. You'll need to determine the best possible documentation

deliverables depending on the company's packaging and deployment.

At this point, it's important to be able to accept input from the customer
using bug

tracking, feedback forms, customer service, and User Acceptance Tests. As

problems are encountered, the problem reports are presented to development
and

the SCM process is used to resolve the issues.

· Installation

· Plan installation.

· Distribute software.

· Install software.

· Obtain acceptance of software in operational environment.

· Operation and Support

· Provide technical assistance and consulting.

· Maintain support request log and change management.

· Maintenance

· Reapply SLCM as required.

· Document changes with Feature Update Document.

· Retirement of Existing System

· Notify user.

· Conduct parallel operations.

· Retire old system.

<end example>

Is it me, or is there something fundamentally wrong here?

Bonnie Granat - http://home.att.net/~bgranat
Technical Editor and Writer - (617) 354-7084