Re: Depicting Spaces

Subject: Re: Depicting Spaces
From: Stan Schwartz <stanz -at- cam -dot- org>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 17:23:54 -0400

I am developing docs that include examples of code. These code snippets include very important spaces among other characters. The number of successive spaces is important too. My client has asked that I find a means to indicate that a specific number spaces exist in the code via some sort of symbol, such as an underscore. So an example of code would look like this in the doc:

codecode_code__code___

Obviously, users would need to know that the underscore is not used in the code, but simply represents a space. Does anyone have any suggestions of how to handle this effectively in docs?

John J. Gardiner

John,
I invented another character that couldn't possibly be created with existing ASCII characters, defined it as a typesetting symbol and used it in place of a space. It looks like a bracket ([) rotated 90 degrees ccw so that it is lying on its back with its little 'legs' sticking in the air. We used the symbol with paper forms for collecting hand entered data to be keyed-in by data entry clerks. Nothing fantastic, it worked Okay. It looked 'cleaner' than hash marks or slashed symbols and was more identifiable as a space than the simple underscore. FWIW, I last used this in the 70s.

New Mexico: attend the entire event or select a single day. For details and online registration, visit http://ieeepcs.org/2001