RE: Secretary Proofing Manuals?

Subject: RE: Secretary Proofing Manuals?
From: "walden miller" <wmiller -at- vidiom -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 15:00:56 -0600

Scott wrote:
Unless there is a history of your manuals not being well proofed, it
is unusual.

Ok, even then it is unusual.

walden writes:
It is not unusual. It is a name game. Tech writers should be used to this.
What is in a title? We wrangle over titles as much or more than anyone. It
sounds to me like you have a copyeditor being paid for by the company.
Calling it proofreading by an AA doesn't make it any less. I would love to
have a copyeditor on staff. Instead I hired a writer with copyediting
background and when deadlines aren't too tight, I can use him as a
copyeditor. You have a great situation. Don't blow it.

In many offices, the admin assistant is the power. He or she gets things
done. Often, AA's are very well paid and very educated/intelligent/etc. We
have an AA that I am grooming for this very purpose. She is underused at
the moment, so in her spare time, she learned Framemaker and I am going to
start giving her assignments.

I am amazed at the comments that are trying to subvert her situation, or
belittle her power. What's up with that? Check the archives. These are
some of the usual complaints about marginalizing our own positions.

walden

BTW: I think good copyeditors bring in equal or more money than typical
tech writers.