Re: Lawyers want to gut our tools

Subject: Re: Lawyers want to gut our tools
From: Doug Isenberg <disenberg -at- GigaLaw -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 16:38:10 -0400

The lawyer and patent law bashing in this thread is pretty loud and, in many cases, misinformed. Neither lawyers nor patent laws is inherently evil. I'd like to think I know. I can't speak about the merits of the Adobe-Macromedia dispute, but I can say that the purpose of patent law is actually to encourage innovation; that is, without legal protection, many inventors would not spend considerable time, effort and money inventing -- and, as a result, we'd all suffer. Patent laws are not perfect, nor is every patent granted actually valid. (That's what patent lawsuits are often about.) But we have a system, with origins in the Constitution, that's worked pretty well for a couple of hundred years.

For a little background reading, take a look at the articles on patent law on GigaLaw.com, at http://www.gigalaw.com/articles/patents.html

Doug Isenberg
Attorney at Law
Editor & Publisher, GigaLaw.com