re: TECHWR-L Digest Acrobat 5 removes spaces in links

Subject: re: TECHWR-L Digest Acrobat 5 removes spaces in links
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 10:25:17 -0700 (PDT)

> This may already have been answered more effectively, so I'm
> replying off list.
>
> >Is there a setting that tells Acrobat/Distiller to retain
> > spaces in the URL?
>
> I doubt very much that it's Acrobat/Distiller that's doing this.
> I've tried recreating it in Acro 4 with MS Wd 2000 and couldn't.
> Admittedly, it might be an Acrobat 5 *feature*.
>
> One option would be to display a friendly link but have it point to
> the correct one with the %20 spaces included.

Hi, Rory...it is an issue that Adobe was able to replicate and they
admit it is their end and are working on it. If you don't mind, I
copied the message to the list because it might be useful to the
members.

1) Create a link in Word (97) with one or more spaces in it. Doesn't
matter if it is a space or if you type in %20.
2) PDF the Word using Acrobat V5.0
3) View the PDF. When the PDF displays the URL as the mouseover, it
will appear with spaces in their proper place.
4) Click on the URL. When it feeds the URL to the browser, it doesn't
send the space and that is where it is "filtered out". If I edit the
PDF to include %20, it still filters out the space.

They are able to replicate it and admit it is an issue on their end.

Now, the good news and it was sent to me from someone on this list.
If I edit the link in Acrobat and place double quotes around the URL,
then it feeds fine. Odd thing...if I place the quotes around the URL
in Word, only part of the URL appears in the PDF after I run it
through Acrobat. It must be done with the link tool in the PDF.

So, while I'm still asking Adobe to fix this, I can deliver my
deliverables by tomorrow and keep my 8 day trip to Jamaica on Fri. (yeehaaa!!).

=====
John Posada, Senior Technical Writer

http://personals.yahoo.com