RE: Layoffs-puzzling question

Subject: RE: Layoffs-puzzling question
From: "Dugas, Andrew" <ADugas -at- eTranslate -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 09:01:58 -0700

I was laid off recently. When I came back on a later day to get some stuff,
I found I needed to be escorted through the hallways where I once roamed
free.

But I didn't take it personally. It was just policy to avoid the rare act of
vengeance. The person escorting me trusted me completely, but had to follow
the policy. She felt as uncomfortable with it as I did, but we both chuckled
about it.

The point of having such a policy is prevention, not cruelty, and as policy
it ensures that all exiting employees receive equal treatment. For example,
if one well-liked person retained free reign while another, less popular
coworker was escorted physically from the building... Well, that would seem
pretty personal and unfair. (Maybe even actionable. Any workplace lawyers
out there tuning in?)

Policy is impersonal, whether it's flushing the toilet when you're done or
being escorted in the building.

Criticize it, point out its absurdities, whatever. But wouldn't take it
personally.

Andy