Re: FWD: Layoff logistics and etiquette

Subject: Re: FWD: Layoff logistics and etiquette
From: skwpt <skwpt -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 20:24:53 -0700 (PDT)

I, too, have survived the layoff syndrome. I just
lived through my fourth, which coincided with a
company merger. And now there are rumors of a buy-out.
The next one will be bloody.

The first was the worst. 130 heads (of 700) rolled and
there was no advance "warning." The dreaded day
immediately followed the typical Christmas break and
the horror was that many staff members came to work
that morning, tried to log on, were denied access, and
joked to their neighbor, "Oooh I got laid off." They
were right.

But wait--it gets worse! Then they were called, en
masse, into the training room and fired as a group.
And the EVP of HR stood at the front of the room,
snarfing cookies, and announced, "At least we got free
snacks," with crumbs flying out of his mouth.

As a technical writer, I do not know how I made is
this far, except that my boss (who just got laid off)
was brilliant at positioning me to work across all
departments. That, and they probably don't pay me
enough $ to notice me <g>

http://personals.yahoo.com