Re: PDFs on Unix

Subject: Re: PDFs on Unix
From: Megan Golding <mgolding -at- secureworks -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: 23 Oct 2001 15:44:51 -0400

On Tue, 2001-10-23 at 14:20, Emily Berk wrote:
> What have your experiences been with Unix users (apparently some are
> pretty militantly anti-GUI, even MORE anti-GUI than I am!) and PDFs.
>
> Are there many developers for whom it would be impossible (or nearly so)
> to read PDFs on their systems?

I agree with Bruce's comments that even the most hard-core command line
folks have a window manager installed, even if just for the
multi-terminal advantage.

I use Adobe's Linux version of the Reader and it works like a champ. As
far as other UNIX users, the battle-hardened UNIX guys around here don't
prefer me to distribute PDF's -- they'd rather have HTML. However, if
the option is PDF or Word, these guys would much prefer the PDF file :)

Meg

--

Megan Golding (mgolding -at- secureworks -dot- net)
SecureWorks, Inc.

Don't worry about the world coming to an end today.
It's already tomorrow in Australia.
-- Charles M. Schulz