Re: PDFs on Unix

Subject: Re: PDFs on Unix
From: Meg Halter <aiki4us -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 12:38:00 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Emilie --

I've been putting together pdfs to be read on SGIs and HPs (and
PCs and Macs) for the past year. We have Acrobat Reader
installed on the systems, invoked either by clicking on a
hyperlink in an html page, or by invoking Acrobat Reader from
the command line. ( cd to the directory containing the pdf file
and type "acroread filename.pdf") So even those who break out in
hives when near a GUI are covered.

As far as I know, Acrobat Reader runs on all flavors of Unix. I
haven't checked into this, though.

HTH

-- Meg

You ask:

< What have your experiences been with Unix users (apparently
some are pretty militantly anti-GUI, even MORE anti-GUI than I
am!) and PDFs.

Are there many developers for whom it would be impossible (or
nearly so) to read PDFs on their systems? >

http://personals.yahoo.com