RE: Alternative style for long, form-based procedures?

Subject: RE: Alternative style for long, form-based procedures?
From: "Michele Marques" <marquesm -at- autros -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 13:54:28 -0400

When I am sure that the audience understands the fields and selections, I
don't necessarily describe every field of the form. I will, however, list
which fields are mandatory.

For example (totally fictional):
------------
Complete the Requisition form.

The following selections are mandatory and must be completed:
* Name
* Item
* Price
* Quantity
* Reason

Click OK when you have finished completing the form.
---------------

If I think that any of my audience might have a question about a field, then
I explain it's purpose. If I am describing any fields on the screen, I
usually describe them all. Usually I use a table, which makes it easy for
the reader to scan for any fields about which he has questions.

Michele Marques, Technical Communicator
AUTROS Healthcare Solutions, Inc.
marquesm -at- autros -dot- com <mailto:marquesm -at- autros -dot- com>

This material is intended for the use of the individual
to whom it is addressed and may contain information that
is privileged, proprietary, confidential and exempt from
disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient or the
person responsible for delivering the material to the
intended recipient, you are notified that dissemination,
distribution or copying of this communication is strictly
prohibited.
please contact the sender immediately via e-mail and destroy this message
accordingly.