URL in Windows event messages

Subject: URL in Windows event messages
From: Herv Peairs <hpeairs -at- usa -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: 23 Oct 2001 08:47:13 EDT

Hi,

The product I document runs under Windows 2000 Server and generates events
that appear in the System Log. An engineer I work with is looking for
information about a capability Windows provides to add a URL to the event
message. The URL is used to point to additional information about the event.

We can't find much (any) doc on this on the Microsoft support site. I'm
appending her message.

Can anyone provide any more information about this? You will see everything
we know in the appended message.

BTW, sorry if this repeats any recent discussion. I did search the archives
and didn't find anything.

Thanks, Herv

------------------------------------

I am in need of help figuring out exactly what we need to do to include a url
in our sys mgmt events. I did some serious searching awhile ago and could
find no specific instructions about how to do this. It could be as simple as
adding a string at the end of the message and everything will just magically
work, but I haven't had the cycles to test it out. Perhaps one of you can
offer some insight, can find better doc, or has time to test?

What I do have is the following excerpt from MSDN:

Starting with Windows 2000, you can write a URL to the end of the message that
points the user to related help material. The URL must be a full-qualified DNS
host name. For example, you could append the following text to your messages:

For additional information on this message, please visit our support site at
http://www.microsoft.com/Support/ProdRedirect/ContentSearch.asp.

The page should be an ASP page that redirects the user to the exact content
that relates to the messages. It must parse additional parameters that are
passed when the URL is clicked to determine where to redirect the user.

From the arguments passed to the ReportEvent() function: =

Event source
Event ID
Event category