Re: Layoff logistics and etiquette

Subject: Re: Layoff logistics and etiquette
From: Iggy <iggy_1996dp -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 16:33:57 -0700 (PDT)

> I went thru a layoff process once. They called a
> company meeting. As people
> got to the area of the meeting, some were sent to
> one room, others were sent
> to another. Then the doors were closed. In my room,
> the CEO said "Anyone you
> don't see here no longer works here. You are to
> forget about them, because
> they are not important. You are the movers and
> do-ers in this company."

The last layoff I went through was amusing. Similar
situation. 33% of the company went to one meeting
room, the other 66% to the other (small company of
less than 85). We were told pretty much the same as
your unfortunates. I don't know what went on in the
other meeting, as all the talented people I'd been
working with were in my room (doc (me), training, most
of support and implementation, and most of
development). All the sales, management, project leads
and execs were in the "keepers" room.

There were a few teary eyes in my room, but most of us
were happy to be rid of the place (a true fuster cluck
of a company). I walked out with the training manager.
We had worked together in a previous company. We had
both cleaned out our belongings the week before in
anticipation, as we knew if anyone was to be laid off,
it'd be those in "do" roles.

So we went down to the front desk (next to the large
conference room where the "keepers" were meeting) with
our briefcases to turn in our access badges. We were
joking and laughing all the way. The mood in the
"keepers" room wasn't quite as jovial. All were
visibly shaken by this, and many were in tears. We got
the strangest looks as we laughed our way out of the
office.

The company is still alive and functioning with about
20 people. I ran into a project manager a few weeks
ago. She looked like hell warmed over, visibly tired
and broken. Her words were optimistic, but her eyes
told a completely different story.

There's nothing like the feeling of being laid off and
knowing you were better off for it. If only the
severance package was worth anything - 2 weeks and an
option to COBRA. Thanks a lot.

http://personals.yahoo.com