Re: FWD: Layoff logistics and etiquette

Subject: Re: FWD: Layoff logistics and etiquette
From: Iggy <iggy_1996dp -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 10:20:11 -0700 (PDT)

Bring a good book to work?

I think your boss has it right - tell them all right
away and then meet with them individually. Of course,
this has a down-side as well, as employees who know
they are being let go can wreak havoc if they still
have full computer account access.

The last layoff I was involved in (of which I was part
of the laid off) was a huge fiasco. We all knew a
month ahead of time that layoffs were coming. So
instead of people doing their best work, the company
actually turned into a playground for a month.
Developers partied at their desks (with beer and
champagne), a 4 hour lunch was not unheard of, and
people started working the gruelling hours of 10 am to
3 pm. No one knew who was going to stay and who was
being let go (except the executives). It was a mad
house.

So for a month nothing was accomplished. Makes your
day of productivity loss look like not much of a big
deal at all (though it is).

http://personals.yahoo.com