Re: Jargon Lovin' Fool

Subject: Re: Jargon Lovin' Fool
From: Andrew Plato <intrepid_es -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 16:39:15 -0700 (PDT)

--- Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com> wrote:
> Andrew Plato wrote:
>
> > Any form of simplification is inherently less than the original
> concept.
>
> We may have a semantic difference here. To make the statement above, I
> suspect,
> you must mean by "simplification" what I mean by "over-simplification."

No. I mean simplification. Anytime you boil something down, it loses
resolution. The line between "over-simplification" (bad) and
"clarification" (good) moves with every passing moment.

> True, a generalization contains less information, and can distort a
> concept for
> that reason. However, at the risk of reviving the lame techie joke about
> "less
> is more," simplification can sometimes be more than the original
> concept. It
> depends on the structure of the original. If the original is complex
> because of
> poor structure or expression, then reorganizing or restating it more
> simply can
> improve it.

Agreed. But it can also alter the meaning.

I guess what I am saying is that simplification is not a universally good
thing. And its a very dangerous thing if you do not understand what you're
simplifying.

For example, I could write a really cool manual on how to fish. But I am
not a fisherman nor do I have a frickin' clue how to fish. So any attempt
by me to simplify the "art-o-fishin'" down to easy language would be
futile - because I don't know what they hell I am talking about.

Thus, the real problem is simplification for the mere act of
simplification. If you're in a situation of ignorance, its best to stay
complex and a little awkward (but correct) then to attempt simplification
and perhaps lose a critical concept. The act of simplification will have
greater detrimental effects if you don't comprehend what you're
simplifying.

Andrew Plato

Mmmm, eels.

http://personals.yahoo.com