Re: lookin' for a PDF alternative

Subject: Re: lookin' for a PDF alternative
From: "Kelly Williamson" <kwcwtech -at- iwaynet -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 16:49:05 -0400

> 2. Has anyone ever used a Word document, saved and locked as a form, as an
> alternative to a PDF, for wide distribution?

Hi WW. I have used Word documents, saved and locked as forms for wide
distribution. When I've done it on the Web, I *always* provide a PDF
alternative. I've done it for our internal customers without providing a PDF
alternative, because, and only because, I know that everyone has Word and
exactly what version they have.

> Does locking a document as a
> form keep all formatting intact?

Yep. You'll probably want to make it read-only so it's not accidentally
overwritten, as well as password protect it (if you don't the user can just
unlock the form and change the formatting.)

> What kinds of
> limitations might using the doc as form impose, besides the fact that the
> user must have Word?

You must worry about what version of Word they have too. And whether they're
all Windows users. And whether they trust you/you're company--they may be
worried about viruses, etc. The only other thing I can think of is that they
can't run spell check unless you include a macro (let me know if you need
it) which makes a lot of people very nervous unless they're internal
customers. (Of course, you can't run spell check in PDF forms either,
AFAIK.)

Good luck!
Kelly Williamson
kwcwtech -at- iwaynet -dot- net