RE: Most Impt. Skill to Learn in Tech Comm Program

Subject: RE: Most Impt. Skill to Learn in Tech Comm Program
From: jgarison -at- ide -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 10:31:14 -0400

>What's the most important skill an undergrad tech comm
>student should learn before graduating?

Understanding that you can get from knowing nothing about your subject
matter to being expert in it enough to write cogently about it. Many times
in my career a new project has looked exceedingly daunting. But I remember
being told that "You CAN eat an entire elephant if you have to. Just do it
one bite at a time." The same dogged approach works when learning a new
application. Of course, knowing how to write well is also important, but,
like Andrew, I believe much of that comes from practice and re-writing, not
necessarily being taught.

>I'd also like to know how long you've been in the
>field and/or out of school.

Been earning my living as a software writer (not text formatter!) since 1973
or 4.

>If you happen to teach tech comm, let me know that.

I have taught at a couple of local colleges for 18 years.