Tens of kilobytes?

Subject: Tens of kilobytes?
From: "Hart, Geoff" <Geoff-H -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 11:13:15 -0400

Jane Carnall wonders about an SME's statement that: <<On 2G networks, a
"large" amount of data is 10s of K.>>

I agree that "tens of kilobytes" is preferable, but it seems to me that the
larger problem with the SME's statement is that "large" is entirely
subjective and addresses the technical issues rather than the user's
experience. If you only have to receive the "large" file once, it's far less
of a problem than if each communication takes the form of a large file.
Speaking as a reader, I'd prefer something that speaks more directly to my
experience: "On 2G networks, the maximum data transfer rate is X
kilobytes/sec, and speeds can drop lower if reception is bad." This lets me
figure out how long their typical file will take to transfer; they can then
decide themselves if this represents a problem. If you want to recommend a
limit on file size, you can then follow up with: "For this reason, we
recommend limiting files to 10K or less in size."

geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca
"User's advocate" online monthly at

"The most likely way for the world to be destroyed, most experts agree, is
by accident. That's where we come in; we're computer professionals. We cause
accidents."-- Nathaniel Borenstein