Re: Voice and environment (was RE: Reading and Editing

Subject: Re: Voice and environment (was RE: Reading and Editing
From: Valerie Priester <hammerl -at- buffalo -dot- edu>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 17:17:07 -0400

--On Monday, October 15, 2001, 1:14 PM -0400 KMcLauchlan -at- chrysalis-its -dot- com
wrote:

> Frank Krasovic wondered:

Yes, the voices are there. Pictures, too, for well-written fiction.

> Some years ago, I made a stab at learning to speed-read,
> so that I could get through technical stuff more quickly.
> I found two things:
>
> 1) no matter how much I practiced, it was always unnatural
> for me -- "against the grain" somehow and,
>
> 2) it didn't deliver the promised gain in speed of comprehension.

I tend to not absorb as much when I try to do it.

> If I needed to really know a topic, then I had to go back over
> it, slowly, often re-reading sections until they jelled. In fact,
> I've noticed that if I invest a dense section of technical or
> expository prose with somebody else's interested and enthusiastic
> voice, I help my own grasp of the material.

Exactly!

> Does this suggest that I should be using different voices when
> I *write* technical material? Hmm.
>
> I wonder if there's any correlation between those of us who
> "hear the voices" and those who don't, versus those who thrive
> in a reading environment with stereo, TV and several live
> conversations roaring around our heads, while others prefer
> quiet surroundings. (For that matter, is it possible to
> enjoy fiction without having the pictures and voices in
> your head as you read?)

I tend to tune other things out, including those in the room with me, if I
am really focused. Growing up, this always annoyed my sister to no end.

> This leads me to wonder if you folk write differently for
> audiences who are likely to be reading your guides and
> manuals in distracting environments, versus relatively quiet
> surroundings... ??

Not only have I never even considered this until now, I think you've just
ruined my sleep for a week. My audience is probably reading the
documentation while blaring a CD at top volume, with the TV on at the same
time, and maybe two or more friends in the same room. Probably by the light
of a lava lamp and the monitor. If they can't tune things out, do they have
any hope of reading it? Argh, the frustrations of writing for college
students!

Valerie Priester
hammerl -at- buffalo -dot- edu