Re: Reading and Editing

Subject: Re: Reading and Editing
From: Steven Brown <stevenabrown -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 13:24:28 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Frank,

What an great discussion. I'm sorry that more people
haven't responded via the listserv. I guess no one
wants to admit they hear voices! But I'll admit...I
do!

Like you and your CTO, I also hear the voices of the
writer, narrator, and characters. One of the hallmarks
of good writing is its "voice," that is, it sounds
natural when spoken. That's what I strive for as I
write.

What fascinates me even more, however, is the voice
that I hear in my head as I write! It more or less
dictates the rhythm and style of the words that I put
to paper. I'd like to think that if something happened
to me and I lost the ability to communicate verbally,
that others would continue to hear my voice through my
writing.

Maybe it's because we're writers and writing comes
naturally to us, but I've always had a hard time
understanding how someone can claim that he can't
write well. I've worked with people who were
incredibly knowledgable about their area of expertise
and could talk for hours; but when asked to document
how to do such-and-such or to explain the nature of
such-and-such, the results look like the efforts of a
15 year-old. It's odd how someone can't simply speak
and put the words to paper.

It's all very intersting...even if it sounds somewhat
schizophrenic!

Steven Brown
Senior Technical Writer

http://personals.yahoo.com