RE: Java apps - which help system?

Subject: RE: Java apps - which help system?
From: "David Knopf" <david -at- knopf -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 09:43:52 -0700

Darren Barefoot [mailto:Darren -dot- Barefoot -at- capeclear -dot- com] wrote:

| I'm confused by your statement that "You can't use browser-based help for
| "pure" Java applications". What do you mean when you say "pure"? I ask
| because I'm pretty sure our GUI is all-and-only Java, and we use
| browser-based help. Thanks. DB.

A pure Java application is an application written in the Java language that
relies only on the documented, specified Java platform. Pure Java
applications do not use native methods, do not have external dependencies
(aside from the Java Core APIs), and meet certain other requirements
specified by Sun. For more information, go to
http://java.sun.com/100percent/index.html.

The reason you can't use browser-based Help for pure Java applications is
that pure Java applications are not permitted to launch external
applications (unless they too are pure Java). Launching IE or Netscape
violates the pure Java security model.

Regards,

David Knopf (mailto:david -at- knopf -dot- com)
Knopf Online (http://www.knopf.com)
Tel: 415.550.8367

RoboHelp MVP & Certified RoboHelp Instructor
WebWorks Publisher Certified Trainer
Member, Sun's JavaHelp 2.0 Expert Group
Member, eHelp's RoboHelp Community Advisory Board
Co-moderator, HATT & wwp-users