Re New TECHWR-L Poll Question

Subject: Re New TECHWR-L Poll Question
From: "Damien Braniff" <DBraniff -at- amphion -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 15:21:36 +0100

Here in the UK the driving test comprises a practical test (actually
driving) and a theoretical test (written test about the highway code -
traffic signs, stopping distances etc) - all the stuff that help you get
from A to B quickly and safely. Once you pass the test you (hopefully)
continue to learn on the practical front as you drive and you tend to
forget a large chunk of the "theory" stuff. I could show experienced
drivers traffic signs and they'd have to guess what they meant.

In our business, grammar, punctuation etc is the equivalent of the
highway code. We can write without grammar, punctuation etc but it
doesn't make for easy reading. Properly written text flows, is easy to
understand etc. This doesn't mean we need to adhere to it strictly -
there are always exceptions - but, for the most part, it is beneficial
to follow the basic rules of grammar. Once you fully understand the
rules then you can decide which can be ignored and in what circumstances

Damien Braniff
Technical Writer
Amphion Semiconductor Ltd.
50/51 Malone Road
BT9 5BS Belfast, Antrim
Northern Ireland

Tel: 028 9050 4000
Fax: 028 9050 4001
E-mail: dbraniff -at- amphion -dot- com
Web: www.amphion.com

Announcing new options for IPCC 01, October 24-27 in Santa Fe.
Attend the entire event, select a single day, or sign up for
a Saturday postconference workshop. http://ieeepcs.org/2001