RE: Theory? (of Web design)

Subject: RE: Theory? (of Web design)
From: bryan -dot- westbrook -at- amd -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2001 16:43:56 -0500

> Somebody said (I'm not even going to attempt to sort out the multiple
layers of quotes here):

> > correctly, the HTML flows to properly fill whatever space is available.
> > Compare to brain-dead sites whose "designers" deliver whatever they
> imagine
> > might be appropriate (usually 800 by 600), completely ignoring the
actual
> > space available. ...
>
> While I agree with your post, there's one issue I take exception to...
I'm
> one of those "brain-dead" designers who designs for a specific resolution,
> and here's why: One of the issues with HTML is the difficulty of creating
> an aesthetically pleasing page in the same manner as printed pages. We all
> like a good layout using lots of white space, but on the web this is
> difficult. One way to simulate this is to use table-based formatting that
> constrains the width of your column.

First of all, HTML is not printed documentation. That's a fact. Get over
it. It's a new medium and should be used as such. Secondly, Why do you
assume that the only people you are inconveniencing are those who have
screen resolutions GREATER THAN 800x600? I know several people in their 50s
and 60s who are using 640x480 even with 17" and 19" monitors because their
eyesight is poor. For these people, it's not just a matter of unused screen
space on one side of their displays. It's a matter of their having to
scroll their windows back and forth for every line of text in your
"aesthetically pleasing" pages.

You know what, with the so called "Graying of America" and all the Baby
Boomers hitting advanced ages I would think that more people would be
conscientious about this stuff.

Announcing new options for IPCC 01, October 24-27 in Santa Fe.
Attend the entire event, select a single day, or sign up for
a Saturday postconference workshop. http://ieeepcs.org/2001