FW: Hobbies on a Résumé

Subject: FW: Hobbies on a Résumé
From: bryan -dot- westbrook -at- amd -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2001 08:46:24 -0500

I've received a lot of off-list replies about this thread. So I'm just
going to repeat here what I told the last person, and that is the last I
have to say about it.

I have actually put a lot of thought into this thread, and I see only three
reasons why someone would list "born again Christian" on a resume:

1. They are too out of touch to realize that it is blatantly inappropriate.
Not somebody I would recommend for a tech comm position. "Next!"

2. They are doing it to intentionally try to be confrontational. This one
needs no comment.

3. They cannot resist any possible opportunity to "spread the word" and that
is why it's on their resume. Most people that I've ever met who describe
themselves with the phrase "born again" fit in this category. I've worked
with this type before, and they tend to spend large amounts of time
evangelizing on the job, not only wasting their time (from a productivity
standpoint) but also that of those they are trying to "convert" and those
who sit close enough to them to have to listen to it. As for 1st Amendment
protection, don't the other workers have a right to not be pestered?

I don't have anything against Christians. Most of my friends are, I married
one, and I even used to be a theology major at one point. I do have a
problem with people who try to run a personal ministry in the workplace.

online registration, and more on http://ieeepcs.org/2001/