RE: Hobbies on a résumé (one blow to the dead horse)

Subject: RE: Hobbies on a résumé (one blow to the dead horse)
From: "Tracy Boyington" <tracy_boyington -at- okcareertech -dot- org>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2001 13:38:21 -0500

Oh, gosh, lots of things.

First, I don't see how why one would consistently trash any resume that gave a reference to gender, unless your goal is to have a workforce completely composed of people named Terry, Kelly, etc. (l guess my daughter Alex will be lucky enough to have a job in the future!). I mean, it would be insane.

Second, though I would not put my religious affiliation on my resume on its own merits, there are legitimate reasons for including related information (what if you were on a mission for 2 years... should you just leave a gap?), and a hiring manager would be foolish IMHO to use that as a reason to automatically toss a resume.

Third, as an applicant, I believe I would be *more* inclined to sue if I found out I wasn't offerered an interview simply because the hiring manager could deduct (or believed he/she could deduct) my gender, race, religion, etc. from my resume.

Fourth... well, it's just plain stupid. Maybe that's why you have a bad feeling about it.

~~~~~
Tracy Boyington tracy_boyington -at- okcareertech -dot- org
Oklahoma Department of Career & Technology Education
Stillwater, OK http://www.okcareertech.org/cimc

>>> "Domaschuk, Rob" <Robd -at- datalogics -dot- com> 10/04/01 01:26PM >>>

I know of some hiring mgrs that "round-file" it as soon as they see a
reference to gender, race, religion, vital statistics, pre-disposition to
blowing up rodents, marital status, etc. Their reasoning, which (IMHO)
sounds goo don the surface is that as long as they do that consistently,
then no one can come back and accuse them of giving someone a job, or
denying someone a job, based on providing that info.

(snip)

BUT... something is nagging me about this and I can't figure out what
bothers me about it. Insights anyone?

online registration, and more on http://ieeepcs.org/2001/