Re hobbies on resume

Subject: Re hobbies on resume
From: "Mark L. Levinson" <nosnivel -at- netvision -dot- net -dot- il>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2001 20:35:44 +0200

Bruce wrote:
> do employers want people with a life outside work?

I got a confirmatory dose of what Bruce suspects when I was
applying for my last job. My resume said that on the side
I'd been the president of the local STC chapter, the editor
of an annual poetry anthology, an occasional newspaper
columnist-- all stuff that I considered pertinent as
testimony to my relevant skills-- and the interviewer said,
"Gee, doesn't that take too much of your time?" (Luckily, I
was able to say "Naw, I've cut back.")

Mark L. Levinson - nosnivel -at- netvision -dot- net -dot- il - Herzlia, Israel
Poetry: http://www.mp3.com/MarkLLevinson

online registration, and more on http://ieeepcs.org/2001/