Re[2]: Fuzzy images - Vent

Subject: Re[2]: Fuzzy images - Vent
From: CHRISTINE ANAMEIER <CANAMEIE -at- email -dot- usps -dot- gov>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2001 13:20:36 -0400

Regarding PDF creation, John Posada wrote:
> The PDF looks good enough for 99% of the needed of the
> average writer and average user. . .
> Well-meaning but clueless writers think that if default
> settings gave acceptable settings, "tweaking" the settings
> will give something better, even though they wouldn't know
> what better if it smacked them between the eyes.

Ugh! John, tell me I'm misunderstanding your point: it sounds to me
like you're suggesting we all sink to the level of the "average"
writer--i.e., since the "average" writer is content to put out docs
with blurry, illegible screenshots and doesn't know squat about
compression methods, we should all just stop fussing about our
Distiller settings. Call me a perfectionist, but I want my documents
to look better than that. I don't want to be an "average" tech writer.

I researched the graphics and compression issues on the web and
educated myself, and the results are much more than 1% better. I'm not
suggesting that every other writer has to reinvent the wheel. A good
the PDF mavens among us.

Christine

online registration, and more on http://ieeepcs.org/2001/