RE: Fuzzy images

Subject: RE: Fuzzy images
From: "Brierley, Sean" <Sean -at- Quodata -dot- Com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2001 12:08:26 -0400

It's a know your audience thing.

My friend has PDF and DOC (Word97) versions of their ;?) resume. I am told,
many recruiters and HR people don't know what to do with a PDF, even today.
(I blame Adobe's marketing dept. ;?) Others like to do some kind of database
thing with Access, and so only DOC files work for them. My friend usually
ships the PDF unless a preference is stated and has the DOC available for
others to download just in case. (My friend also maintains an ASCII text
version of their ;?) resume, just in case . . ..)

However, in the case of my audience, we ship documentation as PDF. We also
redistribute Adobe Acrobat Reader, per Adobe's licensing agreements, with
our software. Initially, when I instituted PDFs at this company, about three
years ago, we fielded some support calls on it . . . but only a few and only
for a brief period of time. Thus, our audience is all set to receive PDFs.

Otherwise, you can do what the IRS and other government agencies do when
making PDF forms available: provide a statement outside the PDF that tells
what PDF is and what you need to get it. Certainly, needing Adobe Acrobat
Reader to read PDFs is a limitation, but then you really need to know to get
Microsoft Word to read a DOC file, a browser to read an HTML file, etc.

Cheers,

Sean
sean -at- quodata -dot- com

online registration, and more on http://ieeepcs.org/2001/