Hobbies on a résumé (WAS: RE: New TECHWR-L Poll Question)

Subject: Hobbies on a résumé (WAS: RE: New TECHWR-L Poll Question)
From: "Mark Moloney" <mmoloney -at- network365 -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2001 15:06:09 +0100

From: "Hannah Bissell" <to -dot- hannah -at- usa -dot- net>
Sent: Tuesday, October 02, 2001 2:42 PM

I think hobbies show you don't just do 9-5. You live your life and don't
just sit in front of a TV each night.
<<<
Generally, hobbies on a CV/résumé - and the related interview question "Do
you have any hobbies?" - serve to show one important thing: if you have a
busy life outside of work, then this shows that you are an active and busy
person. Such people are not the types to come to work and do the barest
minimum to get by, but are the types that will work hard, and always do more
than the minimum.

So, if your hobbies are active and social (that is, not "playing solitaire
in the light of a single candle whilst listening to Type O Negative*"), it
can demonstrate a favourable disposition.

/ Mark Moloney

* No offense intended towards Type O Negative, by the way. Being a bass
player (a social hobby, unless you're my neighbour and I'm practicing), I
like their sound. Being a bit freaky, I also like their lyrics.

online registration, and more on http://ieeepcs.org/2001/