Re: Don't you love farce?

Subject: Re: Don't you love farce?
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2001 14:50:48 -0700

Ellen Vanrenen wrote:

> Per the next email I sent, I forgot to include the word "execute." And why
> is everybody always "utilizing?"

Think of these coinings as natural selection in language. Dozens of words or new
usages are coined every year, but, in order to survive, they need to express a
meaning that no other word covers, have a useful nuance, or otherwise prove
themselves useful. Most don't, and disappear fairly soon.

The process is simply a sign that the language is healthy, and changing. While
most of us probably find that certain usages make us cringe (I happen to dislike
"obsess" used as a verb), our reactions are really just a sign of how neurotic
we all are about grammar, even those of us for whom it's a professional tool.

To put the matter into perspective: about 185 years ago, people were complaining
in the same way about the use of "unconscious" to refer to part of the mind.
About 60 years ago, they were complaining about the use of "individual" as a
noun. Everyone said that these usages were pretentious and unnecessary, yet
nowadays no one thinks twice about them.

"I work for the pleasure of stopping,
I stop for the pleasure of beer."
-The Mollys, "The Lang Town"

online registration, and more on http://ieeepcs.org/2001/