Re: New TECHWR-L Poll Question

Subject: Re: New TECHWR-L Poll Question
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2001 12:51:53 -0700

Tracy Boyington wrote:

I disagree with Tom that ones hobbies are *never* related to tech writing... obviously, there is going to be a connection sometimes. But I wouldn't list any hobbies on a resume unless you knew it was related to the particular job (in fact, I probably wouldn't list it on the resume at all, but mention it in the cover letter instead).

I'd go even further, and simply have an answer ready in case the question comes up. The way I figure it, resumes and cover letters are for getting you through the door. They should concentrate on your qualifications. By the time someone asks questions about what you are like as a person, you're over the first couple of hurdles.

"I work for the pleasure of stopping,
I stop for the pleasure of beer."
-The Mollys, "The Lang Town"

October 3 and get a substantial discount! Program information, online registration, and more on http://ieeepcs.org/2001/