Re: Adobe PDFWriter Option

Subject: Re: Adobe PDFWriter Option
From: Dick Margulis <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 18:41:39 -0400

Diane Williams wrote:
Diane,

When Acrobat is installed, you have the option of selecting PDFWriter or
PDFMaker. PDFWriter is a lightweight tool that, as you note, gives you
no control, but it does some things quickly and easily. PDFMaker (which
used the Distiller printer by default) is much more powerful and is
really the only choice if you are going to send the PDF to, say, a
commercial printer for production (not your situation, of course).

I'd recommend you stay with PDFMaker and Distiller. PDFWriter is
generally considered obsolete and is not really supported anymore.

With regard to the size issue, you can control that in the PDFMaker
dialog. The large size results from Acrobat's storing document structure
information and other Word-related data to enable the export of good RTF
from the PDF file. If you change the default setting so that information
is not retained, the PDF will be much smaller. You can also control the
compression settings for graphics, in which case you can trade off image
quality for file size.

Spend some time with the PDFMaker controls, so that you understand all
the options you have available. Choose default settings that work for
you (they will be persistent--you don't have to keep fiddling with
them), and I think you'll come to like the improved results.

Dick

online registration, and more on http://ieeepcs.org/2001/