Re: The writer's disease (was: A step up, a step down)

Subject: Re: The writer's disease (was: A step up, a step down)
From: Jo Francis Byrd <jbyrd -at- byrdwrites -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 10:59:31 -0500

Why am I a writer.....

Because words are my weapon, my shield. If I have a problem, I sit it down in a chair before me and talk it to death (or write it to death). I use words to pull trauma out of my psyche. I use them as weapons in a battle against bad service (I write GREAT complaint letters! I also write great "you done good" letters, too).

My youngest is a born writer. I knew that when Bonfire collapsed at Texas A&M a couple of years ago (to those not familiar with Texas A&M and Aggies, up until two years ago, students built a HUGE bonfire out of logs. It was not "the bonfire," it was "Bonfire." No articles. Two years ago, it collapsed, killing 12 students and seriously injuring several others. It was a horrible event). That night, she sat down and sent out an e-mail to family and friends describing the emotions on campus. Reading it, I knew she was born to write, it was not in her blood, it was in her soul. She used words to cope with the horror, to pull it out of her, to begin the process of healing. As a writer myself, I understood. I have done the same thing.

Jo Byrd

Kirby_Sarah wrote:

You know, my sister is a compulsive writer. She has several universes
(she's a fiction writer) that she has created, all their own Gods, planets,
wars, peoples. She has one character that has died and comeback five or six
times. I, on the other hand, am a writer, not because I feel the need to
drain my brain of all these ideas floating around in my head (which seems to
me is why many compulsive writers write) but because it communicates more
effectively what I want to say and stays there. Most of the time I'll say
something witty and then promptly forget it or will stutter, stammer and
generally babble until the idea that was floating around finally comes out.

I'm curious, why are you a compulsive writer. Is it to express yourself
clearly, as a release valve on an over active mind or something else Sean?
(anyone else want to jump in here, please feel free.)

-----Original Message----- From: Sean O'Donoghue (EPA) ...I also suffer from the I enjoy writing disease. If I wasn't writing, I
would have to be.....writing. So might as well try and combine my obsession with my job, letting my day take the easiest path rather than fighting to try and be a square peg in a round hole.

October 3 and get a substantial discount! Program information, online registration, and more on http://ieeepcs.org/2001/