Re: Writing conventions

Subject: Re: Writing conventions
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 11:25:24 -0700

Fred Sampson wrote:

As has also been noted, the "rule" really applies to short-term memory of lists we have to carry in our heads; if it's written down, like a procedure in a book, we don't have to remember it all, do we? However, the rule remains useful to help us when chunking information. It's certainly not written in stone, and if your procedure requires more than seven steps without a break, I recommend breaking the rule.

Carl Jung is alleged to have told his students that there were two things they had to do to interpret dreams properly. First, they should learn everything they could about symbols, mythology and literature. Second, they should forget all they had learned on these subjects.

In other words, general knowledge or rules are useful, but applying them isn't simply a matter of following them slavishly. You have to think - or better yet, develop an instinct - about when they should be followed and when they should be broken.

"Getting even is one reason for writing."
- William Gass

October 3 and get a substantial discount! Program information, online registration, and more on http://ieeepcs.org/2001/