RE: Job Market: More Openings for Marcom than Tech-Writing?

Subject: RE: Job Market: More Openings for Marcom than Tech-Writing?
From: "Giordano, Connie" <Connie -dot- Giordano -at- FMR -dot- COM>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 17:41:38 -0400

Scott,

In my experience, marketing gets short shrift, but a lot depends on if
you're a public or private company.

I think Bruce is right... it's seen as a cost cutting move, but it's also a
golden opportunity that very few of us have been able, or willing to
exploit. Perhaps because I started in marketing, I tend not to look on them
as the enemy, or as something inferior to tech com.

There's a lot to be said for integrating the communications efforts between
the two disciplines--getting the customers to pony up, and then providing
them with a satisfactory experience. I've done it very successfully for 8
years. Proving that the "spin doctors" and "doc formatters" have a great
deal to contribute to corporate strategy isn't easy, but it is worth it if
you have ambitions to enter management levels where strategy gets developed.

And it adds a few extra dimensions to the career path. Not everyone is cut
out for it, but for some of us, it's just plain fun!

Connie