RE: Contracting where you used to work

Subject: RE: Contracting where you used to work
From: "Carey Jennifer (Cry)" <jennifer -dot- carey -at- cdi -dot- cerberus -dot- ch>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 15:12:42 +0200

Your email reminded me very much of some of my own past experiences
contracting. Over the years, I've come to believe that honesty is the best
policy in situations like these.

If I were in your shoes (at least the ones I'm imagining, of course I don't
know your situation completely based on one email), I would go in and speak
to my boss about what you've said here. I would point out the advantages on
their side of having long term employees (e.g. it takes time to really
understand a product and its relationship to other products, to learn the
corporate culture, etc.) and let them know that you want the same things.

I wouldn't be afraid to ask outright if they are happy with the quality of
your work, if they have other projects that need to be worked on, if they
would ultimately like to have you as a long term employee. If they have a
doubt about or problem with you, it should come out at this point and you
will have 3 months to try to make things right.

If they say they are happy with you, I would be sure to let them know that
you're very unhappy with the current situation. I would point out all of the
disadvantages they are offering you and all of the benefits they are
receiving at your expense, and then point out that they essentially lied to
you and betrayed trust by changing terms at the last minute. Most companies
should understand that this is not a good foundation upon which to build a
positive long term relationship.

Make them do right by you. If they won't and they don't have an acceptable
reason for this, I would quietly start looking for another job (you have
three months :) and give them the right amount of notice. But be sure to let
everyone know (i mean HR/doc team lead, etc, not necessarily the
secretaries) professionally and politely, why you made that decision before
you leave.

In the end, I think we have to set professional standards to which we hold
ourselves. I try to be professional, reasonable and fair, and I expect the
same from the company I work for. Otherwise, I look elsewhere. Easier said
than done when the market is weak, I know.

Just my opinion... good luck.