Re: Contracting where you used to work

Subject: Re: Contracting where you used to work
From: Andrew Plato <intrepid_es -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 07:13:48 -0700 (PDT)

> Has anyone had this experience of going back to work on contract for a
> company where you were previously full-time? How does it change your
> relationships with your (remaining) coworkers and your supervisors? How
> do you determine a fair rate? Any pitfalls to watch out for?

Bill your work on an hourly basis. Invoice weekly. Figure out a rate that
pays you what you want.

Get a contract: a legal "technical consulting services" agreement. See a
lawyer if necessary. Make sure this contract spells out the work you will
do, how you will be compensated, and limits your client's ability to sue
you if something goes awry. Usually, contracts limit the amount the
company can sue to the amount you billed them.

Keep your work "contained". Establish a set of deliverables you will
provide for the company. Assume that once you finish those deliverables,
you will be out of work again. Be careful doing "out of scope" work. That
is work that is not in the agreed upon deliverables. This is where most
contractors get screwed. They go off and do work that was not part of the
deliverable, this can anger a client. You should help out wherever
possible, but this must be balanced with your expected deliverables.

Don't view any work as long term or potential to "get in the door."
Assume you will do a little work for them on the side and then leave.

Keep your relationships a bit more formal with co-workers. When you
contract, you need to have things spelled out with greater certainty.
You're not an employee of the company, you're merely providing a service.
Make sure you communicate your schedules to co-workers.

I agree with those that say don't take stock options. Get cash.
Remember, when you contract you have to set payment terms. Net30 is the
most common terms, but since most people cannot go 30 days waiting to get
paid, you might want to set your terms to Net15 or Net10. Make sure this
is all spelled out in a contract.

Remember, you're not an employee when you contract. You are an independent
contractor. Don't be offended or put out if your client treats you a bit
different.

Good luck

Andrew Plato

online registration, and more on http://ieeepcs.org/2001/