Re: Unusual resumes

Subject: Re: Unusual resumes
From: Jo Francis Byrd <jbyrd -at- byrdwrites -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 09:09:27 -0500

I would add to Andrew's advice on not dealing with the agency, TELL the agency why you're not looking at any of the submitted candidates. I've had this done to me, and I'm NOT a grand slam loser. One time I saw my "revised" resume on my way in to interview with the potential client. I was horrified: Who IS this woman??!!! The client was so impressed with me he hired me almost on the spot without asking me a single question about my resume. Thank God. I still have no idea what I would have said. Most tech writers have really good resumes. It's our first selling point. It really hacks me off when it gets changed. Take out the contact information (like I'd deal with the company if they DID go behind the agency's back and contact me directly; that proves they can't be trusted!) and leave the rest of the resume as is.

Jo Byrd

Andrew Plato wrote, in part:

"Writer Whirler" wrote

I have been asked to evaluate some tech writer resumes forwarded for a contract position open in another department. Most contain the usual information: company name, dates of employment, etc. But a few, all from
the same agency, do not contain any specific company names or employment history....

You're working with a "resume sanitizer" agency. Its a lame thing to do. Basically, they are sanitizing the resumes so you don't attempt to "go
around their backs" and take the person out from underneath them. It is
likely the people they are sending you are grand slam losers, so they
sanitize their resumes to make them look better.

I would blow the agency off and work with a place that sends you complete
resumes.

A landmark hotel, one of America's most beautiful cities, and three and a half days of immersion in the state of the art: