Re: How many worthless stock options do yo

Subject: Re: How many worthless stock options do yo
From: "Nancy Osterhout" <bluetwilight -at- home -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2001 09:32:27 -0700

Then again, it's a really good indicator that your employer (a stable,
publicly held company) is going to be laying off people if they're all
of a sudden giving stock options, instead of the customary percent
raise, to employees at performance review time. Especially when that
annual performance review for all employees is rescheduled to be held
5 months sooner (i.e., 7 months instead of 12 months since the last
annual performance review).

The stock options I got from that "raise" were for $18 per share. The
market price on the day I was awarded the options for my great job
performance had just dropped from an all-time high of $14 to $6. By
the time my options were execiseable, the market price was $4.

It doesn't matter whether you were a tech writer. Even if you got
tons more options (depending on your job function), the stock options
were still toast because options were a benefit that had a 6-month
life once you were laid off. Not like medical benefits that you could
pick up yourself with COBRA within 18 months after being laid off.

Much better would be company-match dollars to employee contributions
to a 401(k).

Question: does anybody's employer do that kind of match different for
one employee job function (like a tech writer) than any other kinds?

A good neighbor is better than a great gun.
~~Shimon Peres, Israeli Foreign Minister (9/18/01)
Ideas for donations - www.libertyunites.org